Get Shift Done: Tips and Tricks
If you’ve ever missed an important message in Slack because you don’t have the time to read every line of text in each conversation, there’s a simple hack that can help keep you informed without wasting your time wading through rivers of text: the keyword highlighting tool.
For example, say you wanted to stay up-to-date on new changes in the Walter account. You can set up the highlighting feature to alert you whenever “Walter” is mentioned in a conversation. Not only will you get a notification, but the word will also be highlighted in the conversation so the relevant information is easy to find.
Here’s how to set it up:
- Click on your face in the upper left side of the screen.
- Choose Preferences > Notifications > Highlight Words.
3. Type the words you would like to be notified about into the box and separate each word with a comma.
4. After you type each word, Slack will save your entry automatically.
5. To stop notifications, simply delete the word in the same spot where you added it.
Not only will you get a Slack notification whenever a highlight word is used, every word that you added to the highlight feature will literally be called out in an actual conversation:
Get stories like this one delivered to your in-box weekly: Subscribe to the GSD newsletter.
GSD: Tips and Tricks is brought to you by Xero, the cloud accounting software solution for your small business. With Xero, you can log in anytime, anywhere to get a real-time view of your cash flow and manage your books. Start your free 30-day trial today.