Get Shift Done: Tips and Tricks
The Dropbox app for iOS devices (iPhone/iPad) has this neat little trick to help you keep up-to-date with your expense receipts. The great thing about this approach is that, once you’ve set it up, there’s no need to go any further than your lockscreen to snap a receipt when say, taking a client to dinner.
Getting Set Up
1. On your iOS device, Download Dropbox from the App Store.
2. Either sign in or set up a new account.
3. Swipe down from the top of your screen to reveal the Notification Center. Swipe right to switch to the ‘Today’ screen. Tap on the circular Edit button.
(note that there may already be some app widgets listed, in which case you’ll have to scroll down to the bottom of the page screen)
4. Tap the + icon next to ‘Dropbox’
5. Dropbox can be added to either the left or right column area. Tap Done to confirm.
Using the Dropbox Lockscreen Widget
Now, we’re going to capture and upload an expense receipt all from your lockscreen.
Imagine you’re in a restaurant and have just finished a breakfast meeting with a client. You’ve paid on your card, tipped in cash, and have just been handed the receipt.
Here’s what to do next:
1. Take a photo of the receipt using the camera from the lockscreen menu:
2. Back at the default lockscreen, swipe right. Locate the Dropbox widget and tap the Upload Photos option.
3. The Dropbox app will open and you will have to enter your PIN code or use TouchID to proceed.
Now, select which photo(s) to upload and tap Choose a Folder.
4. Create a new folder called ‘Expense Receipts’ by tapping on the Create Folder option at the bottom of the screen.
5. Now tap the Expense Receipts folder you just created at the top of the screen and then ‘Set Location’ back at the bottom.
6. The photo of your receipt will have a generic timestamp, so it’s a good idea to rename it into something easier to process at a future date. Tap on the down arrow next to the file, and then on Rename in the menu that appears.
7. Change the filename to something more descriptive.
And we’re done! Once you’re set up, this workflow becomes quick and easy. It takes around 30 seconds to do, much faster than having to wade through physical receipts at some point in the future.
Get stories like this one delivered to your in-box weekly: Subscribe to the GSD newsletter.
GSD: Tips and Tricks is brought to you by Xero, the cloud accounting software solution for your small business. With Xero, you can log in anytime, anywhere to get a real-time view of your cash flow and manage your books. Start your free 30-day trial today.